Thursday, June 23, 2011

2011 Day 14 Hiroshima & Miyajima & Daisho-in Temple








Marguerite -
So first off I really miss my host families and secondly I love being in Hiroshima. Right now I am in hiroshima and have already gone to the peace park. It was beautiful! When I was younger I researched the bombing of hiroshima so it was interesting to learn more about it at the museum. Otherwise Japan is great and I am having lots of fun! Like I said before I just really miss my host family!

Tyler/Tim
We stayed in a hostel last night. It was very nice to be able to do laundry and shower. We had to walk up a big hill to get there. The hill wasn't bad but the luggage made it slightly harder to walk up. We alternated writing sentences back and forth and wrote this one together.

Andy
Last night after we got off the Shinkansen we waited a short while at a bus stop outside and headed for a youth hostel. There we slept and today we went to the Hiroshima peace park and are now headed to miyajima shrine.

Josie? 
Yes, Andy, thanks for the segue. Hiroshima Peace Park was devastatingly sad and eye-opening. That day was hell on earth for those poor people. I understand well that no-one was blameless in this conflict, but the only thing that was running through my mind the whole time was that there must have been another way.

Serena
Well today we went to the peace park. Just walking around and seeing the statues was sad enough but after going into the museum ... I almost couldn't get out of there fast enough. The sight of wax figures like the victims plus the actual huge pictures of skin melting off people made me very sick feeling. That was all before lunch too. Also today we went to and island. There was the giant water Tori that I have always wanted too see there. It was cool. 

Jenny
Today we went to the Hiroshima peace park!! We were able to place our cranes in the container of other cranes. The designs which others made was unique and beautiful. After, we went to the Miyajima temple. We had to ride a ferry to get there which was really fun!! It was my first time, but anyways it was humid. It also was a long and hard walk due to the steepness of the hills, but it was alright. At the temple, there were many activities such as the blind walk, where we walk through a tunnel of total darkness; tossing coins; tower viewing; and more. In the tunnel, Tommy Lee decided to stop half way and scare people. He scared me so bad that I screamed loudest of the group. After, we just hung out on the island and waited for the ferry.


Tommy Lee
Hiroshima was good. It was fun in down town Hiroshima. There were a bunch of shops to go to. I found an interesting manga shop there also! 

Tim Barnet
Hiroshima was amazing. The peace park was just beautiful to walk through. Then going through the museum to see the damage that had been done was heart wrenching. I would absolutely go back there again  someday. 

Tyler
Walking through the Hiroshima peace park was an amazing experience.  We also went through one of the museums about the atomic bombs that were dropped.  I will definitely come back if I ever get the chance.

Matt
Hiroshima was really fun and one of my favorite spots so far. We went to a famous temple called Miyajima that is right on the ocean. It was a very nice day and the view was beautiful.  Earlier that day, the Hiroshima peace park was very interesting and moving.  The set up of the park is awesome and the museum is very well put together.  For dinner we had okonomiyaki, which I had been looking forward to all trip.  It was everything I hoped for and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment