Saturday, June 16, 2012

2012 Day 8: Yokohama Host family day


Friday after school we went sightseeing in Kamakura. I ate anmitsu, a sweet ice
creamy type thing. We visited a temple and ate more food and stuff. We went to
the onsen and relaxed. Saturday we walked around for 12 hours and went to
Kamakura and Yokohama... I'll talk more later.
--Roman

Friday after school, Josie, my host sister and I watched the orchestra practice.
Josie's host sister played the bass and my pen pal played the French horn.
After, we went to the mall and ate bread shaped like a fish with chocolate in it
called taiyaki. After we got home we had curry, and looked through the Volume
One with my host mom. On Saturday, we went to Kamakura and saw the Big Buddha
and a temple. Then we went to the mall in Yokohama and saw the Pokemon store and
a book store. We also went to Chinatown to see a temple. After we watched a
movie together, ate pizza and looked at the Volume One I brought. Sunday morning
we watched a Japanese movie and ate breakfast together. It was a lot of fun and
i'm going to miss them.
--Ginny

Best birthday ever! I got to do so many cool things like make a calligraphy fan
and kendo! I got to wear the kendo uniform it had a very "interesting" smell
then I got to battle and I know I sucked at it. I also got to help my host
sister with a mascot poster for her team which was Micky Mouse playhouse
characters. After school my host sister had to go to cram school so me and my
host mom went home and she had bought a cake and flowers for my birthday! Then
she let me try on a yukata, kind of like a kimono but lighter fabric. Yesterday
I went to an onsen or hot spring it was so nice! I would definitely do it
again.Then they took me to Kamakura where we went to a temple and saw an old
fashioned wedding happening. it was cool. my host family wanted to take me to
the Kamakura daibutsu or Buddha so we saw that this morning. I definitely want
to stay in contact with them and send them American foods and I also sent
letters home!
--Hailey

I did a lot of fun things with my Yokohama host family. We first went to a
Sukiyaki restaurant, which was super delicious! I've never had anything like it
before. Then we went to a lot of stores; first we went to a book store, where I
bought two manga in Japanese! Then we went to the mall where they had a lot of
cool stores; I went to the Pokemon Center for starters. There they had
everything and anything you could ever think of related to Pokemon. There were
so many children there! It was a bit chaotic. Then I went to the Shonen Jump
store, where they sold a lot of various anime related items from Naruto, Bleach,
etc. After that I went to a music store and bought a CD. Finally, we bought some
ice cream and headed home by train. It was a pretty busy day!
--Amani

My host family understood and almost overprovided for me. Friday the three host
sisters took me to a summer festival where I played a game where the object was
to catch goldfish. Afterwards we went to a shrine in the dark which was spooky
and awesome! Saturday was really lax, the family went and rented a bunch of
japanese taiga (history) dramas to watch throughout their busy day. Later we
played Wii and went to a Japanese restaurant where I had sashimi and a delicious
green tea and sweet bean dessert. Afterwards they took to my challenge and all
six of us watched The Ring together. I expected it to be more scary but it was
good! After a good card game I said goodbye and now this bullet train is going
too fast for my comfort...
--Bre

So, we went to the landmark tower in Yokohama, there was the Pokemon center. I
have never seen so many kids in all my life. The we had a nice Japanese
McDonald's lunch. Then we went to Kamakura and saw a nice Temple and then the
beach.
--Damien

Saturday morning, I went to the onsen with my host sister and ate at the
restaurant there. Later on in the day, I played Wii with her and we watched
Twilight together with Japanese subtitles. In the evening, I went to the Pokemon
Center with my whole family which was really fun. Did purikura (print club).
Then we went to Chinatown and wandered around for a while. We ate supper there
and ate too much. Went home, ate cream puffs from a French bakery. Bed. Next
morning tried on some beautiful yukata and my host sister's grandma brought us
bamboo covered dango. It was fun.
--Josie

Yesterday we went to a high school's School Festival Day. It was a lot of fun
and really hectic. After that we went to Chinatown, and had lunch. That was
really good. I bought some food from a store in a museum. I wish I could have
gone back because I thought I saw some mushrooms that I was thinking of buying
for my dad. :) Then we went to the mall that had the Pokemon Center. I bought
quite a bit of stuff there. Then there was the Shonin Jump store right across
from there. That was really cool, but it was kind of expensive. Then Yumi, my
host sister, had to find a white skirt, which we thankfully found at the first
store we went to. Then we went home and ate later. Pretty sure we had curry. It
was all really fun! I loved my host family!!!! :D
--Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment